Skip to main content


Version imprimableVersion imprimable

The McOuat Mill / House. (Photo - Ray & Diana Baillie)This beautiful stone house on the North River was constructed as a mill in 1831 by the McOuats, and transformed into a house five years later. The McOuats, prominent in the early commercial life of Lachute, ran saw mills on Davis Creek, a foundry which made paper mill machinery, and a hardware store on Main Street which boasted the first plate glass window in Lachute. McOuats still live in the area.