Tamaracouta Scout Reserve was opened as a Scout Camp in 1912 with funds provided by a group of generous citizens led by Colonel E. A. Whitehead. Originally a farm, the property formerly belonged to the Dawson family of Mille Isles. The name Tamaracouta was chosen due to the large number of Tamarack trees located on the property; and the word “couta” meaning body of water in Native language.
After the First World War, the camp decided to adopt the Hudson’s Bay Company nomenclature and since that time has named the campsites and staff positions after the Hudson’s Bay Company Trading Posts.
Tamaracouta Scout Reserve is the oldest continuously running Scout Camp in the world, proudly hosting thousands of scouting members from around the globe every year. The camp is now situated on 1000 acres of pristine woodlands, offering year-round accommodations and activities. Tamaracouta is located in the heart of the lower Laurentians, approximately 1 hour north of downtown Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Tamaracouta is proud of its traditions and history, and continues to thrive offering our members quality program and accommodations for year round camping.
For information on the camp, click here: www.Tamaracouta.com.