Skip to main content

SILVER BIRCHES, RAWDON

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Silver Birches. (PHoto - Ray & Diana Baillie)Surrounded by birch trees, stands this old militia barracks and drill hall built c.1830. Local names listed in the ranks were those of Sharpes, Copping, Tinkler, and Rowan, all familiar names in the community today. Local militias were set up during a time when Canada was threatened by rebellion from within and invasion from the United States.

This old building was used in many other ways. It was for a time a Presbyterian church (there are headstones on the grounds dating back to 1849); a private home; a hotel and restaurant called “Silver Birches”; and it is now a retirement home.