Skip to main content

OLD BARRACKS, CARILLON

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

The old Barracks. (Photo - Matthew Farfan)Sometimes called "the Barracks", as it was commandeered by the British army and used to house soldiers during the Rebellion of 1837, this building was originally erected by General C. J. Forbes as a warehouse to protect equipment serving the old Carillon Canal. Later, it became the Sovereign Hotel, and in 1934, with the help of Dr. Maude Abbott and Dr. Charles Wales, it became the home of the Argenteuil Historical Society and Museum. The museum holds an impressive collection of 19th century dress. And, it has an example of the Scottish (Doig) plough which helped improve agricultural practice during the first half of the 19th century.